Saturday, May 11, 2013

Wonder by R.J. Palacio Review

Whaddup!

Back so soon? It would appear that I am out of my reading slump of sorts and have already finished another book for you guys and thought I would give it a review considering I loved it! My review today will be on R.J. Palacio's book called Wonder.




Starting of course with a little synopsis. August Pullman, more affectionately known as "Auggie" was born with a facial abnormality. He doesn't look like all the other kids, in fact one of the first lines of the book reads, "I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse."
He has been home schooled all of his life and now upon entering 5th grade, his parents have decided that it is time for him to see the world outside of his home, outside of his comfort zone, and outside of his shelter. This is pretty much where the story for Auggie pretty much takes off.

Auggie to me is probably one this list of one of the most memorable characters that I have ever read. Despite knowing that people are staring, that people are talking about him, saying horrible and hurtful things, Auggie hardly ever complains. As unfortunate as it is, he has learned to live with the fact that people will always be, well, people.

Something that I really loved about this book is that it is told in different perspectives. His sister and his friends have parts in the book where they explain what it's like to live with August and to live with how other people react and treat him. His sister in particular hit me hard. She explains that she has learned to adjust to doing things on her own and not complaining about anything, not that she is being humble, but because that is just the way things are. August is priority. Each part of the book is beautiful and really teaches you to never judge a book by it's cover.

I can not recommend this book enough. I even encourage for younger readers to read this, to help better understand and maybe teach a lesson that everybody is somebody. I completely gave this book five out of five stars and truly plan to read this book again.

As with my other review, I will leave you two quotes from this book that I found beautiful.

""Your deeds are your memories." This precept means that we should be remembered for the things we do. The things we do are the most important things of all. They are more important than what we say or what we look like. The things we do outlast our mortality. The things we do are like monuments that people build to honor heroes after they've died. They're like the pyramids that the Egyptians built to honor the pharaohs. Only instead of being made out of stone, they're made out of the memories people have of you. That's why your deeds are like your monuments. Built with memories instead of stone."" -August

"Everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their life because we all overcometh the world." - Auggie


Happy Reading!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment