Sunday, January 12, 2014

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Today's blog will be a review of a book that I just finished reading with a fellow blogger, Melissa from BookBFFS. If I Stay by Gayle Forman is a contemporary read and its pretty heart wrenching.
So let's talk about it!


What's it all about? "In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen ­year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make."

Initial Thoughts: Now, I'll be honest and say that I have had this book sitting on my shelf for quite some time and didn't really plan on reading it any time soon, other books held more precedent than this one did, but when I saw Melissa mention that she was thinking of reading it, I asked her if she might want to read it together, and she accepted. I read this book in a day. I'm honestly not a huge fan of contemporary reads and the premise of this story was just so sad but I can tell you that after reading this and really thinking about it that nothing really happens in this book. Yes, there is a major event in the first few chapters of this book, but this book is mostly told in flashbacks. A lot of time is spent with Mia trying to decide whether or not she should stay or go, she tells her story in a series of flashbacks, looking back at events in her life that define who she is as a person and the type of person that she will be, should she decide to stay.

Characters: Mia - Overall, I felt a pretty personal connection to Mia because of her love of music, specifically the cello. I myself played the violin for several years, so the fact that she was so in love with classical music hit a soft spot for me. I really enjoyed her as a character, as she sits in her own "limbo" of sorts just waiting and watching. I can not help but wonder if I was in her situation what I would do. Her holding on to any hope for her brother just hit me so hard. She is not a character that NEEDED love from her boyfriend, Adam to keep her going. She was not reliant on him, and I found that refreshing. Adam - Oh Adam, swoon worthy indeed. For a book boyfriend, I felt that Adam's character was pretty realistic for his reactions to things. He had goals in life and I enjoyed that neither Adam nor Mia had the, I CAN NOT LIVE OR BREATHE WITHOUT MY BF/GF syndrome. Both characters knew that there would come a point in their relationship in which they would have to decide what was next. I feel that Adam's reaction to Mia's predicament was also pretty realistic and I really enjoyed his final move with the music. Kim - Kim was such a wonderful character. I thought she was a wonderful choice for Mia's best friend. Going through all their trials together brought them together as a great duo. She held it together and I really think that this was something that Mia really needed. Especially when she went to get Adam. Wonderful. Other Characters - These characters are by no means minor. Firstly, Mom and Dad - I, at times, felt that their responses and reactions to things felt a little unparent-like. For instance, the scene when Mia is explaining her moms reaction to her having her first boyfriend. I really loved them though, they had some profound moments and I was truly hurt by the death. Teddy - Any scene with Teddy was particularly painful. I was so heart broken at her realization of his fate. Such a beautiful soul and so young, I was without words for him. Gran and Gramps - Gran held to her strong character. Did not let the situation break her down and I appreciated this. Gramps was a stong character but those moments when he let his emotions take over, were so sad.

Final Thoughts: I did really enjoy this book. I was a little put off by such a cliffhanger ending but I really did enjoy this book. There really wasn't any character or plot development. As I mentioned before the book is mostly told in flashbacks with really no talk of the future. ( This I assume is the synopsis for the next book, Where She Went.) I can see where this book might make you cry, I myself was teary eyed more than once. I can not fathom such a horrible and utterly horrific situation that Mia is put through and I feel this book portrayed these feelings quite well. I would recommend this to someone who enjoys sad contemporary reads. Star rating? 4 1/2.

Favorite Quotes:

" I know that all the magic kisses in the world probably couldn't have helped him today. But I would do anything to have been able to give him one."  - Mia

"I just think that funerals are a lot like death itself. You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control."  -Mia's Father

Until Next Time

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment